Today social media and digital marketing are a routine part of any marketers conversation. But the impacts of the digital age will be far greater than the marcom’s sphere. Last week “A Snapshot of Australia’s Digital Future to 2050″ was released. This detailed report provides some insights into the economic, industry and societal impacts to be expected in Australia, from the availability of ubiquitous high speed broadband and advanced IT capabilities.
The report was written by Phil Ruthven, Founder and Chairman of IBISWorld and commissioned by IBM. But before I continue, I encourage you to watch this short video of Phil Ruthven on the report.
The video cannot be shown at the moment. Please try again later.
Some of the highlights of the report:
- Demise of industries – Australia will see the demise of 15 industries including Free-to-Air Television Broadcasting, Newspaper Publishing and Motion Picture Exhibition. This is going to change the way we market.
- Productivity and growth – The new utility will see significant productivity and growth opportunities emerge in the services industries – such as health care and education.
- Reshaping employment – It is predicted that the current way we work and are ‘employed’ will see a dramatic change.
Now, what are the implications for marketers?:
- New media landscape – As we have seen over the last week the Australian media landscape is continuing to rapidly evolve.
- New business opportunities – All industries will be impacted in some way with opportunities and threats. New business models, new routes to market and new offerings.
What do you see as a further implication for marketers? Let’s discuss on my twitter account
For more information on the report please explore the following options: